How do you know if you have pinworms?
What are the symptoms of a pinworm infection?
- frequent and strong itching of the anal area.
- restless sleep due to anal itching and discomfort.
- pain, rash, or other skin irritation around the anus.
- the presence of pinworms in the area of your child’s anus.
- the presence of pinworms in stools.
How do you get pinworms?
How does someone get pinworms?
- By an infected child not washing hands after using the bathroom.
- Pinworm eggs can also be transferred to the fingers from clothing or bedding, and then spread around the home.
- Eggs may be inhaled from the air or deposited onto food and swallowed.
What relieves the itching of pinworms?
For the itching, wash the skin around the anus with warm water. For severe itch, use 1% hydrocortisone cream (such as Cortaid) 2 times per day. Use for 1 or 2 days.
- Each morning give your child a shower.
- Always rinse the anal area.
- Do this for 3 days after taking the pinworm medicine.