What does the prostate gland feel like?
The prostate gland is part of the male reproductive system and is about the size and shape of a walnut. It is located just below the bladder and in front of the rectum. A prostate nodule is a firm area that may appear on the prostate gland. It is raised and hard and feels like the knuckle on a finger.
How do I know if I found my prostate?
Digital rectal examination (DRE): A doctor inserts a lubricated, gloved finger into the rectum and feels the prostate. A DRE can sometimes detect an enlarged prostate, lumps or nodules of prostate cancer, or tenderness from prostatitis.
How can you detect an enlarged prostate at home?
- Digital rectal exam. The doctor inserts a finger into the rectum to check your prostate for enlargement.
- Urine test. Analyzing a sample of your urine can help rule out an infection or other conditions that can cause similar symptoms.
- Blood test.
- Prostate-specific antigen (PSA) blood test.
What are the 5 warning signs of prostate cancer?
What Are the Five Warning Signs of Prostate Cancer?
- A painful or burning sensation during urination or ejaculation.
- Frequent urination, particularly at night.
- Difficulty stopping or starting urination.
- Sudden erectile dysfunction.
- Blood in urine or semen.