3 Telltale Signs You Have a Slipped or Bulging Disc
When a disc in your lower spine bulges or tears, the gel-like inner material leaks out into the spinal canal, causing pain. Here are three distinct signs of a herniated disc to help you identify the underlying cause.
1. Pain while sitting
Herniated discs in the lower back typically herniate or bulge in the posterior (back) and/or lateral (side) region, which is close to your spinal nerve roots, and herniated discs can affect these nerve roots in one of two ways.
3. Pain aggravated by specific activities
The pain from a herniated disc in the lower back can be excruciating, but most people’s symptoms don’t last long, and your doctor may recommend a combination of nonsurgical treatments to relieve the discomfort. Cauda equina syndrome is a serious medical emergency that can occur with severe lower back disc herniations.
How do I know if I’ve slipped a disc?
What do the signs and symptoms of a slipped disc look like?
- Pain and numbness on one side of the body, usually on one side.
- Pain that extends to your arms or legs.
- Pain that worsens at night or with certain movements.
- Pain that worsens after standing or sitting.
- Pain when walking short distances.
How do you know if you have a slipped disc in your lower back?
Signs and Symptoms
- If your herniated disk is in your lower back, the most pain will be felt in your buttocks, thigh, and calf.
- Numbness or tingling. People with a herniated disk often experience radiating numbness or tingling in the body part served by the affected nerves.
How do you know if back pain is muscle or disc?
1. Disc herniations hurt when you bend forward AND when you return from bending up to an upright position, whereas back strains or sprains hurt less when you bend forward and more when you return from bending forward.
How do you fix a slipped disc?
Treatment that does not require surgery
- NSAIDs, such as ibuprofen or naproxen, can help relieve back and leg pain.
- Physical therapy.
- Epidural steroid injection.
Can you push a herniated disc back into place?
Pain radiating down the leg or arm is the most common sign of a herniated disc. Special extension exercises can help relieve pain from a herniated disc by sucking the center of the disc back into place, releasing pressure on the nerve.
Is walking good for a herniated disc?
Dynamic lumbar stabilization exercises, which work the abdominal and back muscles to improve posture, flexibility, and strength, may also be prescribed by your doctor. Moderate aerobic activities, such as walking, biking, and swimming, can also help relieve pain.
Can a chiropractor fix a slipped disc?
Chiropractic Care and Back Pain: Non-Surgical Treatment for Bulging, Ruptured, or Herniated Discs ( Slipped Discs )
How painful is a slipped disc?
A slipped disc occurs when a soft cushion of tissue between the bones in your spine pushes out and presses on nerves, causing pain. It usually improves over time with rest, gentle exercise, and painkillers.
Can you feel a herniated disc with your fingers?
If you have a herniated disc in your neck, you may experience symptoms in your shoulders, arms, hands, and fingers, in addition to your neck. The amount and location of your pain is largely determined by the location of the herniated disc. The cervical spine is made up of the first seven vertebrae of the spine, numbered C1-C7.
What is the fastest home remedy for back pain?
7 Natural Ways to Relieve Back Pain
- Every day, drink an anti-inflammatory beverage.
- Avoid prolonged static posture.
- Stretch your joints and soft tissues gently with yoga.
- Try mindful meditation.
- Support your body in a warm pool.
- Keep a self-activating heat patch on hand.
How do you know when back pain is serious?
If your back pain is accompanied by any of the following symptoms, go to the emergency room right away because you could be dealing with a more serious condition or injury: Sudden spike in pain, discomfort, weakness, or numbness. Loss of bladder function. High fever
How do you stop lower back pain fast?
Back pain relief from the comfort of your own home
- Switch shoes.
- Workstation changes.
- Use heat and cold.
- Pain relief cream.
Can slip disc be cured?
Yes, a slipped disc can be treated; however, while it cannot be completely avoided, it can be reduced by being physically active, performing back strengthening exercises, and practicing yoga.
Can Squats cause slip disc?
Squats, which place strain and pressure on the lumbar region while leaning forward; shoulder presses, which place strain and pressure on the back through back extension (arching the back); and low back extensions, which place strain and pressure on the back through back extension (arching the back).
What is the fastest way to heal a herniated disc?
- Self-care: The pain from a herniated disc usually improves in a few days and goes away completely in 4 to 6 weeks.
- Medication: Your doctor may prescribe pain relievers, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), muscle relaxants, and steroids.