What Does An Electric Shock Feel Like?

A shock can cause muscle spasms

We’ve all felt a buzzing or tingling sensation that doesn’t cause injury.

That’s the effect of a current as low as 0.25 milliamperes (mA) entering the body.

What does a minor electric shock feel like?

When you touch a light switch to turn on a light, you may receive a minor electrical shock. You may feel tingling in your hand or arm. Usually, this tingling goes away in a few minutes. The electrical current may cause rapid and severe swelling in the throat and lungs, making it hard for a person to breathe.

What happens to your body when you get an electric shock?

An electric shock occurs when a person comes into contact with an electrical energy source. Electrical energy flows through a portion of the body causing a shock. Exposure to electrical energy may result in no injury at all or may result in devastating damage or death.

Can you get an electric shock and not feel it?

Brief low-voltage shocks that do not result in any symptoms or burns of the skin do not require care. For any high-voltage shock, or for any shock resulting in burns, seek care at a hospital’s emergency department. A doctor should evaluate electric cord burns to the mouth of a child.

Is a mild electric shock dangerous?

A mild electrical shock can cause a mild tingling. A severe electric shock may knock you unconscious, burn you, and cause internal damage. The outside wound may look minor, but the internal injury can actually be quite severe.