How do you know if your wisdom teeth are coming in?
Symptoms of Wisdom Teeth Growing In
- Tender or bleeding gums.
- Red or swollen gums.
- Jaw pain or swelling.
- Bad breath or an unpleasant taste in the mouth.
- Difficulty opening the mouth.
How long does it take for wisdom teeth to come in?
People can have any number of wisdom teeth from none to all four. Most jaws are done growing by the time a person is 18 years old, but most wisdom teeth emerge when a person is around 19.5 years old. Most problems caused by wisdom teeth are due to the fact that they just don’t fit.
What should you do when your wisdom teeth are coming in?
While you wait to have the teeth removed, you can take steps to reduce pain and swelling.
- Put an ice pack on your cheek for 15 to 20 minutes at a time. Do not use heat.
- Rinse your mouth gently with warm salt water every 2 to 3 hours.
- Try an over-the-counter pain reliever such as ibuprofen or naproxen.